¡Dîaglo en Señas! connects two languages: American Sign Language and Spanish. Developed by a trilingual interpreter, this book expedites language acquisition so that Spanish-speaking individuals can begin to learn sign language in order to communicate with deaf individuals.
Much like a picture dictionary, this resource offers over 500 commonly used signs that are portrayed with clear, professional pictures. Each photo is accentuated with green arrows to show correct movement. Facial expressions are crisp against the white background for easy viewing. Despite the signs being static, there is accurate representation of ASL rules such as grammar and non-manual signals. In addition, some specialized signs for educational or medical settings are included. All photos are paired with Spanish captions or text. The inclusion of English may help foster trilingual development if parents want their deaf child to acquire both English and ASL. A section of “Ejemplos de Usos” (Usage Examples) adds a robust element to this book, incorporating vocabulary signs into sentences.
In sum, this bilingual resource can benefit families whose members speak Spanish and need to communicate with deaf individuals who are primarily ASL users.
In a nutshell:
- For deaf children and their Spanish speaking family members who are learning sign language
- ASL signs with Spanish captions and descriptions
- Clear use of green arrows to show proper motion
- English text is not available, which may hinder ASL/English bilingual development
- High-quality photos
- Bulk ordering available
- Includes medical and educational terms
- Publisher: Viajero Publishing
- Author/Lead Developer: Lucas Soto
- Signer(s):Lucas Soto
- Price: $29.99
- Year: 2013
- Product: Book
- Format: Hardcover
- Medium of Sign Language: Color photo
- Spanish text
- Page references